Share-VDE is an initiative lead by the community of participating libraries, with the aim of setting up linked data based workflows.
Share-VDE makes available
- conversion of library catalogues from MARC to linked data;
- enrichment of original MARC data and of the records converted in linked data with identifiers from external sources (e.g. ISNI, VIAF) and with original Share-VDE identifiers;
- reconciliation and clusterization of entities created through library data conversion;
- delivery of converted and enriched data to libraries for reuse in their systems;
- publication of library records converted in linked on the discovery platform www.share-vde.org.
Share-VDE facilitates cataloguing and exposition of bibliographic records through a linked data based approach.
The platform www.share-vde.org enhances the discovery potential of library resources and unveils information that would otherwise have been hidden in archives → access to a rich amount of data that can be exported and re-imported by the participating institutions.
It’s an authoritative source thanks to the data enrichment with external URIs (ISNI, VIAF, Wikidata etc.) and internal ones (the URI created by Share-VDE for each entity).
Fosters the collaboration with the Linked Data for Production (LD4P) initiative and the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) for the study and application of linked data.
3 major benefits
Quality: enrichment with data from other authoritative sources.
Use: better exposition, data analysis opportunity, reuse in other projects.
Engagement: facilitate information exchange and collaboration with other communities.